This recipe for gnocchi soup is a “30 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Heather Kessler. For the creamy part, she uses Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-time-trials-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Creamy Kale and Gnocchi Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose your broth wisely.
For gluten-free and dairy-free gnocchi soup, believe it or not, there are a few brands of gluten-free gnocchi! At last check, it looked like La Veneziane, Conte, and DeLallo are dairy-free, too, though a couple do contain eggs.
For nut-free and dairy-free gnocchi soup, So Delicious offers Coconut Milk Beverage that can be used in place of the almond milk.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 48 ounces vegetable stock
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 17.6-ounce package gnocchi
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Sauté onion, carrots, celery and salt until the vegetables are soft - about 7 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, bring stock to a boil in a separate pan or in the microwave.
- Add hot pepper flakes and garlic to the vegetable mixture and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add hot stock, nutmeg and bay leaves to the vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the almond milk and kale, continue to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in gnocchi. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and add parsley. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as desired.