It’s easy to forget that inspired recipes need not be complicated. Take this poblano walnut dip, for example. It uses common pantry ingredients, dairy-free yogurt, and fresh poblano peppers to create rich, bold flavor that is completely dairy-free. The recipe is a Savory entry in the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest (over $3500 in cash prizes available!) submitted by Hidemi Walsh.
The contest is a celebration of our new FREE Snackable eBook with delicious, original Sweet, Savory and Sippable Dairy-Free Recipes. Download and enjoy it now via PDF, iTunes, Kindle, Kobo or Google Play: www.godairyfree.org/snackable-ebook
Special Diet Notes: Poblano Walnut Dip
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 4 medium poblano peppers
- ¾ cup roasted walnuts
- ½ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Plain Cultured Almond Milk (a.k.a. dairy-free yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Turn the oven on to broil (temperature: 400 to 450ºF).
- Place the poblano peppers on a greased baking sheet and broil, turning occasionally, until all sides of poblano peppers are blackened. Let cool on a wire rack.
- When the poblano peppers are cool enough to handle, remove the skin. Cut each pepper into half lengthwise, remove the seeds and membranes and put the peppers into a blender. Add the walnuts, cultured almond milk, olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, chili powder and garlic salt and puree the mixture until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl and stir in black pepper, to taste. Serve with chips or crackers.