Earth Day is quickly followed up by National Picnic Day. A bit early in the year for picnics I would think, but perhaps it was scheduled as a gentle reminder to get outdoors and enjoy the earth! Regardless, I’m not the best at planning ahead with recipes, so I’ve taken this opportunity to be ahead of the game by creating a roasted potato salad recipe for your upcoming picnic needs – though we thought it was a pretty tasty side dish to enjoy year round! It’s tasty both warm and cold.
I started with a delicious recipe idea from Ina Garten, but decided to take a different cooking approach for more flavor, hence the roasted potato salad name. I also added my own special ingredients and reduced the mayo and overall dressing to keep from overwhelming those yummy vegetables (yes, plural – carrot offers delicious contrast and flavor!). If you want to cut the fat even more, try substituting part of the mayo with unsweetened or plain dairy-free yogurt. I would omit the sugar in this case.
The creamy texture in this roasted potato salad is created with a mixture of mayo (vegan and soy-free such as Vegenaise for special diet needs), unsweetened coconut milk beverage (this is my preferred choice due to richness and flavor), and zesty Dijon mustard. The result is an eggless potato salad that we love far better than the pre-packaged grocery store variety. In fact, my picky niece who hates potato salad gave it a “pretty good” – I’ll take it. Tony and I devoured it – we loved the richness and bold but bright flavors.
Though the recipe was dreamed up and executed in my kitchen, this picnic day idea was brought to me by So Delicious Dairy Free, and is being shared in honor of their big recipe contest! For a discount on their vegan yogurt, non-dairy milk, or ice cream, get a So Delicious Coupon
- 1-1/2 lbs potatoes (I use Yukon gold, unpeeled), cut into ½-inch chunks
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or grapeseed oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup mayo (try Vegenaise for vegan)
- 1 tablespoon So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sugar, optional
- ¼ cup diced celery
- ¼ cup diced or minced onion
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF.
- Put the potatoes and carrots on a baking sheet and toss with the oil and salt. Once thoroughly coated, spread them out - it is best if they aren't touching one another - for just a wee bit of breathing room.
- Roast for 35 to 45 minutes, turning them about half way through, or until they are tender and just slightly golden. Note that they may not brown as easily during high humidity.
- Let potatoes cool for 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, whisk together the mayo, coconut milk beverage, mustard, dill, vinegar, salt, pepper, and sugar in a small bowl until smooth.
- Whisk in the celery and onion.
- Once the potatoes and carrots have cooled, combine them with the dressing in a large bowl until thoroughly coated. Enjoy warm or cover and chill until ready to eat. The flavors will meld a little with some resting time.