This curried vegan pot pie recipe is a “main course” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Vanessa Burnum. For the rich curry filling and fluffy biscuit topping, she uses Culinary Coconut Milk and Coconut Milk Beverage, respectively, from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Curried Vegan Pot Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, vegan and vegetarian.
For soy-free and vegan pot pie, omit the TVP or consider replacing it with your favorite hearty protein that is soy-free. Also, be sure to select a dairy-free soy-free margarine.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger root, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1-3/4 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Lite Culinary Coconut Milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- ½ cup TVP
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup chopped potatoes
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ¾ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 teaspoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free margarine, warmed to room temperature
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- Grease 3 quart casserole dish
- Sauté onion, carrot, celery in oil over medium heat until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, spices, and salt, and cook for 30 seconds more. Add flour and stir until evenly coated.
- Pour in veggie broth, coconut milk, and water. Add TVP, lentils, and potatoes. Cook until mixture has thickened, and lentils and potatoes are soft, around 15 minutes.
- While filling is cooking, put together the biscuit topping.
- Add peas and heat through. Add more salt if needed.
- Add apple cider vinegar to coconut milk and set aside.
- Combine pastry flour, white flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper.
- Cut in margarine until dough resembles a coarse meal.
- Add agave to milk mixture.
- Add milk mixture in small amounts to dry ingredients while mixing. Knead just until dough holds together.
- Remove filling from heat, and pour into prepared casserole dish.
- Spread biscuit dough on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.