This unique potato soup is an “appetizer” recipe entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Hidemi Walsh. To compliment the curry flavor with richness, Hidemi purees the potato soup base and adds Almond Plus AlmondMilk from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Curry Bacon & Potato Soup
This recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
For vegan and vegetarian, some brands of vegan “bacon” may provide a good alternative, provided that they aren’t heavy in gluten.
For tree nut-free and dairy-free potato soup, So Delicious Dairy Free also offers Coconut Milk Beverage that you can use in place of the AlmondMilk. The coconut unsweetened variety will also meld nicely with the curry base.
- 2 russet potatoes, about ⅔ lb
- ½ medium onion
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1-1/2 cups So Delicious Unsweetened Almond Plus AlmondMilk (see note in post above for nut-free option)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Peel potatoes and dice. Slice onion thinly. Chop turkey bacon.
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil and cook onion over medium heat until tender. Stir in turkey bacon, potatoes and ginger. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1 cup water, increase the heat and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are tender. When the potatoes are tender, turn off the heat, remove the saucepan from the heat and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and puree the soup until smooth.
- Return the soup to the saucepan, heat over medium heat and stir in almond milk. When the soup is warmed up, reduce heat and stir in curry powder and cinnamon. Add salt and black pepper to taste.