Basic Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream (Vegan, Soy-Free, Gluten-Free)
This fantastic ice cream recipe was adapted from How Cooking Works by blogger “Needleroozer“
Yield: 1.5 quarts
- 4 cups coconut milk (full fat)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- 1/2 vanilla bean, slit lengthwise, and scraped* (optional)
Stir the coconut milk and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved. Add the salt and vanilla and freeze in an electric or hand operated ice cream freezer.
*throw all of your scraped beans into a jar, and fill it with sugar. Vanilla sugar is wonderful to bake/cook with.
- For more of a coconut flavor, lessen the vanilla or leave out the bean, and add some coconut.
- For orange sherbet, instead of vanilla, add 1 TBSP of orangel oil, and some orange zest. If you make a batch of this, and a batch of vanilla, you have the makings for a Creamsickle! THe kids love this combo.
- You could also use lemon oil and zest, throw in berries, etc.