I’ve been saving this wonderful carrot cake ice cream recipe from Alta of Tasty Eats at Home all winter long. I couldn’t think of a better treat to kick-off the rising temperatures than a cool and creamy dessert that’s loaded with fresh carrots.
Technically, Alta submitted this dairy-free carrot cake ice cream recipe for the Galaxy recipe contest last year, but her submission got lost in the mix. Since I didn’t want this gem to be forgotten, I promised to highlight it after the spring thaw.
As a special treat, and for more of that carrot cake flare, Alta included candied pecans and dried fruit in her carrot cake ice cream recipe. She also adds a touch of alcohol, which doesn’t alter the flavor much, but helps to keep ice crystals from forming as the ice cream freezes.
Special Diet Notes: Carrot Cake Ice Cream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
For nut-free carrot cake ice cream, you can skip the candied pecans (or use your favorite seeds!) and substitute coconut milk beverage for the almond milk.
- ¼ cup shelled pecans
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 14-oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup turbinado sugar (or other raw sugar)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese substitute (such as Go Veggie! Vegan)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch cloves
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- ¼ teaspoon guar gum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cognac or brandy
- ⅔ cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried pineapple
- ¼ cup raisins
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add the pecans, coconut oil, brown sugar and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the sugars caramelize and cling to the pecans. Remove from the heat.
- Add the coconut milk, almond milk, and sugars to a medium saucepan. Heat, while whisking, until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Chill the mixture for 3 to 4 hours.
- In a blender, combine the chilled milk mixture, cream cheese substitute, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt, guar gum, vanilla, and cognac. Blend until smooth and uniform.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions. Once ice cream is at soft serve consistency, stir in candied pecans, carrots, pineapple, and raisins.
- Freeze 3 to 4 hours or until firm.