We have altered this recipe ever so slightly. It originated with Todd Johns of Just Baking. Brands of cake mix such as Cherrybrook Kitchen and Duncan Hines may suit dairy-free and vegan diets.
“This dessert is a family favorite and is so easy to make. The hardest part is waiting one hour for it to bake. The most amazing part of the dessert is the topping which is just a dry cake mix. Its one of those creations that makes you wonder who thinks of these things, but then realize that you are glad that they did.”
- Butter an oblong cake pan.
- Dump in one can crushed pineapple, undrained.
- Dump in one can cherry pie filling. Spread over pineapple, but try not to stir together.
- Dump in one box dairy-free yellow cake mix – dry. Spread over pie filling. Do not stir.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup pecans over top.
- Slice one stick butter alternative (i.e. Earth Balance) over top. Do not stir.
- Bake 325 degrees for one hour. Top with dairy free “ice cream.” Serve warm or cold.