- 6oz dairy-free margarine (we used Pure)
- 6oz dark muscovado sugar
- 2oz cocoa powder
- 6 ripe fresh plums, stoned
- 3 medium eggs
- 2oz each rice flour, buckwheat flour and rolled oats, lightly pulverised in a food processor
- 2 level tsp gluten and wheat-free baking powder
- 2oz dairy-free chocolate, nibbed
- good quality plum jam (optional)
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Beat the spread with the sugar in a mixer till soft and creamy. Add the cocoa powder.
- Purée three of the plums in a food processor and add them to the mix.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, each with a spoonful of the flour mix.
- Chop the three remaining plums into fairly small pieces.
- With a wooden spoon, fold in the remains of the flour, the baking powder, chocolate nibs and the plums into the mixture.
- Grease a loose bottomed 15cm cake tin, or line it if it doesn’t have a loose bottom.
- Spoon in the mixture and bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes in the tin then turn out onto a rack.
- When cooled to room temperature, you can split the cake horizontally and fill with a good layer of plum jam.
3005cals – 50g protein
174g total fat – 46g sat / 57g mono / 56g poly
302g carbohydrate of which 210g sugar
18g fibre – 2753mg sodium / 7g salt