This fantastically simple recipe comes from the Vegetarian Kitchen…
Serves: 9 to 12 squares, or 8 wedges
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup plain rice milk or soymilk
- 1/2 cup natural style peanut butter, or other nut butter like cashew or almond, at room temperature
- 1 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl and stir together.
Combine the applesauce, rice milk, and peanut butter in another bowl and whisk together until smooth. Pour into the flour mixture and stir together until fairly well blended, then use a whisk until the mixture is smooth.
Stir in the chocolate chips and optional raisins. Pour into a lightly oiled 9-inch round or square cake pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden on top, and a knife inserted into the center comes out with chocolate, but no batter.
Allow to cool to room temperature or just warm, then cut into squares or wedges to serve.