- 1/2 cup vanilla rice, almond, or soymilk
- 1¼ cup organic white sugar or other sweetener
- ¼ cup margarine (such as Earth Balance)
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips (use Enjoy Life brand for soy and gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Put milk alternative and sugar in a sauce pan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Extra caution must be used with soymilk which tends to curdle. Bring to a boil for 7 minutes. (Keep an eye on the pan at all times and stir frequently). Remove from heat and add margarine, chocolate, and vanilla. Stir until margarine and chocolate melt and mixture is smooth and creamy. Pour into a greased 8″ x 8″ cassarole dish (or a smaller dish for thicker pieces). Refrigerate overnight, cut into squares, and serve. As suggested by AllergyMoms, sprinkle with coconut or crushed candy canes for a festive touch.