Chocolate-Mousse Frosting (Vegan, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free)
Of course, we can always count on Isa Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero of the PPK and Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World for some fabulous pareve and vegan / egg-free recipes (posted in the Jewish Exponent):
2 packages (2.3 oz.) extra-firm silken aseptic tofu, such as Mori-Nu, drained of excess liquid
1/4 cup plain soy milk
2 Tbsps. agave syrup or maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 package (12 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Crumble tofu into a blender.
- Add the soy milk, syrup and vanilla. Purée until completely smooth. Set aside.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips. Use a rubber spatula to mix the chocolate as it melts. Once melted, remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chocolate to the tofu and blend until combined. Use the spatula to scrape down the sides of the blender every so often.
- Transfer mousse to an airtight container.
- Chill for 1 hour before frosting cupcakes.