This is a house favorite. They are relatively low fat, and delicious! The recipe can be made gluten free using rice flour. Use peanut butter in place of the coconut, or along with it, for a peanut butter cup flavor.
Double the recipe for a 9 x 13 in pan.
- 1/4 cup Light Olive Oil or Earth Balance Shortening
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1.5 teaspoons Real Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup flour – we typically use all brown or white rice flour for a gluten free brownie, but you may use all-purpose or whole wheat flour instead
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Flaked coconut
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Dairy Free semi-sweet of dark Chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar (optional)
- 1/4 cup Chopped Walnuts (optional)
Grease a 8×8 inch baking pan. Combine oil or shortening, sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Beat in eggs. Add flour, cocoa, and salt. Stir until combined. Stir in coconut. Spread batter in the prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining ingredients over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 35 minutes.
Peanut Butter Brownies – Replace the coconut with 2 heeping Tablespoons of Peanut Butter
Peanut Butter Coconut Brownies – Our personal favorite! Add 2 heeping Tablespoons of Peanut Butter with the coconut. Use the full 1/2 cup of coconut, or reduce it to 1/4 cup.