These Coconut Carob and Almond Pudding Pops are a special treat dreamed up by the folks at Whole Foods.
Special Diet Notes: Coconut Carob and Almond Pudding Pops
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and optionally nut-free.
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 cups dairy-free milk beverage, divided
- ⅓ cup organic evaporated cane juice
- ½ cup vegan carob chips
- ½–1 teaspoon gluten-free almond extract
- 1–2 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- In a medium bowl, blend cornstarch with salt. Slowly pour in 1 cup of almond milk, whisking until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat, mix remaining almond milk with evaporated cane juice and carob chips, stirring frequently until mixture is smooth and comes to a scalding point. Do not boil the mixture.
- Stir the cornstarch and almond milk mixture and then add to the hot almond milk and carob, whisking constantly over medium heat until the mixture thickens completely, about 3 to 5 minutes. It will coat a wooden spoon with thick, hot pudding. Stir in the almond extract and coconut.
- Transfer ½ of the pudding to four small ramekins and allow it to cool to room temperature before refrigerating. Set aside the remaining pudding to cool. Chill the ramekins for a couple of hours before serving.
- For the frozen pops:
- Spoon cooled pudding into popsicle molds or small paper cups with flat popsicle sticks. Freeze overnight. To un-mold, run frozen pops under hot tap water for just a few seconds to loosen.