This recipe is has been altered slightly, but it seems it may have originated from Imagine Foods. Now a part of the Hain Celestial Group, Imagine Foods makes Soy Dream, Rice Dream, and several other non-dairy products. Enjoy this cake warm with a scoop of vanilla non-dairy ice cream.
Yields: 9 servings
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 2/3 cup soy or rice milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 ½ Tablespoons ginger (fresh minced)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Lightly oil a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, sift together both types of flour, baking powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cloves, and allspice, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until blended.
- Pour the mixture into baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before serving.