- 180g (about 1 ¾ cups) of finely shredded unsweetened coconut * see NOTES
- 120g (about ½ cup + 3 tsp) white sugar * see NOTES
- 2 large eggs whites
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Optional – mini chocolate chips (For allergen-friendly, try Enjoy Life brand)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the coconut, sugar, egg whites and vanilla with a fork or you fingers until all the coconut is evenly moistened. You can also add mini-chocolate chips to the mixture at this point (like I do) to make Chocolate Chip Macaroons.
- Scoop tightly packed teaspoonfuls of the mixture evenly spaced onto the baking sheet and place in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until the tops of the Macaroons turn a light golden brown. Do not over bake or the centers will not remain soft and chewy.
You need to use unsweetened coconut in order for this recipe to work. Unsweetened coconut can be found at most health food stores. Since it is drier and finer than the regular sweetened coconut that you find at grocery stores, the unsweetened coconut better absorbs the egg whites and gives the cookies their characteristic texture (soft and chewy in the middle, crisp on the outside).