Special Diet Notes: Eggless Butterless Spice Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, vegetarian, and optionally soy-free.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated shortening (such as Earth Balance)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 1½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 8 or 9 inch square cake pan.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat combine; the sugar, shortening, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground allspice, salt, raisins, and water bring to a boil and continue boiling for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda together. Add the flour mixture to the cooled raisin mixture. Stir until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 minutes.