This non-dairy dessert recipe comes from Andrew Schloss, the author of Almost from Scratch: 600 Recipes for the New Convenience Cuisine. Though this cookbook is not exclusively dairy-free, it offers many recipes and ideas for those who are interested in cooking with convenient ingredients.
Yield: 16 Brownies
- nonstick flour and oil baking spray
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, large or extra-large
- 1 cup light-brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. instant espresso powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with baking spray.
- Mix the oil, egg, sugar, vanilla, espresso powder, salt and baking powder in a bowl until blended. Stir in the wheat germ, and walnuts and scrape into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake until the surface is dry and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting into 2-inch squares.