Special Diet Notes: Fortune Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 1 egg white
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- ¼ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup white sugar
- Write your fortunes on strips of paper about 4 inches long and ½ inch wide.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a cookie sheet with a thin coat of butter.
- Mix the egg white and vanilla until foamy but not stiff.
- Sift the flour, salt, and sugar, and blend into the egg white mixture.
- Put teaspoonfuls of the batter about 4 inches apart on the cookie sheet. With the back of a spoon, smooth the batter into round shapes, making sure the batter is as even as possible. Don’t make too many at first — these cookies have to be hot in order to form them. When they cool off, it’s too late! Start with about 6, to see how many you can do.
- Bake the cookies for 5 minutes or until they look golden on the edges (the middles normally look pretty pale). Prepare more cookies on another buttered cookie sheet while the first batch is baking!
- When you take them out of the oven, use a wide spatula to put the cookies upside down on a wooden board. Quickly put the fortune in the middle of the cookie and fold the cookie in half. Fold cookie in half one more time, then place folded cookies into a muffin tin to cool. Yum!