Attach a gingerbread man cookie cutter to the jar for a thoughtful gift.
Yield: 18 cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
Mix 2 cups of the flour with the baking soda and baking powder. Mix the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour with the ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and allspice. In a 1 quart, wide mouth canning jar, layer the ingredients starting with the flour and baking powder mixture, then the brown sugar, and finally the flour and spice mixture. Pack firmly between layers. Attach a card to the jar with the following directions:
- Empty contents of jar into a large mixing bowl. Stir to blend together. Mix in 1/2 cup softened dairy-free butter alternative or margarine, 3/4 cup molasses, 1 Tablespoon white vinegar, and 1 slightly beaten egg. Dough will be very stiff, so you may need to use your hands. Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350º F (175º C).
- Roll dough to ¼ inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut into shapes with a cookie cutter. Place cookies on a lightly greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in preheated oven. Decorate as desired.