25 cm (10") base of choice (gluten-free if necessary)
(I normally use a base made from crushed dairy-free cookies and dairy- free margarine)
two 300 g (10 1/2 oz) packets silken tofu
- 1 1/4 cups soy milk powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey (or vegan alternative*)
- 5 – 6 tablespoons (6 – 8 tbsp US) lemon juice
- zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons (8 tsp) canola oil (or other oil)
- 1 tablespoon (4 tsp) apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence (extract)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 6 teaspoons agar agar powder
Place all ingredients, except water and agar agar powder, into a food processor and process until smooth. Dissolve agar agar powder in water in a saucepan and boil gently (turn heat down when it starts to boil) for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add to cheesecake mixture in food processor and blend together. Immediately pour into prepared base. Chill for a few hours.
* Agar Agar sets fast even at room temperature. You need to work quickly to add, blend and pour the mixture, as it will start to set immediately. If it is not blended fast enough or the mixture is too cold the cheesecake may become lumpy.
Makes one 25 cm (10") cheesecake.