Special Diet Notes: Peppermint Meringues
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
- 2 egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 peppermint candy canes, crushed
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 225º F (110º C). Line 2 cookie sheets with foil.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Gradually add sugar, continuing to beat until whites form stiff peaks. Drop by spoonfuls 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Sprinkle crushed peppermint candy and mini chocolate chips (if desired) over the cookies.
- Bake for 1½ hours in preheated oven. Meringues should be completely dry on the inside. Do not allow them to brown. Turn off oven. Keep the oven door ajar, and let the meringues sit in the oven until completely cool. Loosen from foil with metal spatula. Store loosely covered in cool dry place for up to 2 months.