This Perfect Pumpkin Pie is another sample from Recipes for Dairy-Free Living by Denise Jardine.
Special Diet Notes: Perfect Pumpkin Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, vegetarian, and optionally nut-free.
- Pie Crust:
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup pecans, minced
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons parve margarine or shortening, chilled (Earth Balance®)
- ¼ cup dairy-free milk beverage, lukewarm
- 1 (10.5-ounce) package firm silken tofu
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can solid pack pumpkin puree
- 16 Candied or toasted pecans halves for garnish-optional
- To prepare the crust: Combine the flour, sugar, pecans, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Mix together with a whisk, until blended. Add the margarine and mix with your hands by crumbling the mixture through your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Add the rice milk and mix quickly with your hands until the dough forms a shaggy ball. Do not overwork the dough.
- Form the dough into a slightly flattened disk and place between two sheets of plastic wrap. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to form a circle 11 to 12-inches in diameter, by periodically lifting and repositioning the plastic wrap over the dough. Remove the top layer of plastic wrap and invert the dough into a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan. Gently press the dough into the pan and discard the plastic. Leave ½ inch of dough hanging over the rim of the pan and remove any excess dough by trimming with kitchen scissors. Turn the overhanging dough under toward the inside of the pan to form a rim. Pinch the dough between your thumb and index finger to form a fluted edge around the top edge of the pan. Set aside.
- To prepare the filling and bake the pie: Preheat oven to 425° . In a blender with a tight fitting lid, blend the tofu and eggs until creamy, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula, about 2 minutes. Mix in the sugars, molasses, spices, and salt. Add the pumpkin and continue to blend until incorporated and smooth, about 3 minutes. Pour the filling into the prepared pie pan and smooth out the top with a spatula. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Decrease the oven temperature to 350° and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes, or until crust is golden and the pie is just firm in the center. Remove from the oven and set on a wire rack. Lightly press the pecan halves into the hot filling in a circle or design of your choice. Cool to room temperature.