Thanks to Go Dairy Free viewer Phillip for emailing this recipe. As for the source, he said, “My Mom, Muriel, got this from the Virginia Sun Newspaper in 1959.” Recipes were often simpler and dairy-free in decades past! This recipe is dairy-free, optionally nut-free, and optionally soy-free. If you’d like to trial it without eggs (to make it vegan), I recommend trialing 3 to 4 tablespoons of dairy-free yogurt in place of the egg.
- 1/4 cup crushed pineapple
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup nuts – optional
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
- Sift dry ingredients.
- Cream shortening, and add sugar and egg.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in three portions, mixing in between each addition.
- Stir in the pineapple, vanilla, and nuts, if using.
- Drop the dough by the spoonful onto greased cookie sheets.
- Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes or until delicate golden color.
Copyright Fleming Marrs Inc. ~ www.GoDairyFree.org
Tagged nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegetarian