Raw Sugar-Free Carrot Cake with Lemon Cashew Frosting (Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free)
I was amazed when we came across this innovative yet naturally sugar free recipe from Vegetarian Times Magazine. They seem to have quite the variety of recipe ideas.
- 1 cup raw almonds, soaked 8 to 12 hours, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups raisins, soaked 1 hour, just covered with filtered water; drain (save soak water)
- 1 cup pitted dates, soaked 1 hour, just covered with filtered water; drain
- 6 cups carrot pulp or finely ground carrot (about 8 carrots)
- 1 to 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 to 2 tsp. grated nutmeg
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tsp. crushed cardamom pods or cardamom powder (optional)
Lemon Cashew Frosting:
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked 1 to 2 hours
- 1 cup raisins, soaked 1 hour, just covered with filtered water
- 1 cup pitted dates, soaked 1 hour, just covered with filtered water
- Juice 1 lemon
- If carrots are ground in food processor, press off excess juice through a strainer or cheesecloth.
- In food processor, combine almonds, raisins and dates; process until finely ground, or homogenize through juicer.
- Mix carrot pulp, spices, and zest in large bowl.
- Frosting: In food processor or blender, combine cashews, raisins and raisin water, dates and date water and lemon; process until smooth. Add extra soak water from cake if necessary for desired consistency.
- Line 10-inch pie pan with plastic wrap and press cake mixture into pan. Turn pan over onto serving plate, remove pan and plastic wrap. Spread 1/2 cup frosting over top of first layer. Repeat molding with remaining mixture and gently release on top of first frosted layer. Touch up and reshape cake as needed. Spread remaining frosting on top and sides of cake. Garnish with whole or chopped almonds and cinnamon.