I was amazed when we came across this innovative yet naturally sugar free recipe for raw carrot cake from Vegetarian Times Magazine. They seem to have quite the variety of recipe ideas.
Special Diet Notes: Raw Carrot Cake with Lemon Cashew Frosting
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup raw almonds, soaked 8 to 12 hours, rinsed and drained
- 1½ cups raisins, soaked 1 hour, just covered with filtered water; drain (save soak water)
- 1 cup pitted dates, soaked 1 hour, just covered with filtered water; drain
- 6 cups carrot pulp or finely ground carrot (about 8 carrots)
- 1 to 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 to 2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon crushed cardamom pods or cardamom powder (optional)
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked 1 to 2 hours
- 1 cup raisins, soaked 1 hour, just covered with filtered water
- 1 cup pitted dates, soaked 1 hour, just covered with filtered water
- Juice 1 lemon
- If carrots are ground in food processor, press off excess juice through a strainer or cheesecloth.
- In food processor, combine almonds, raisins and dates; process until finely ground, or homogenize through juicer.
- Mix carrot pulp, spices, and zest in large bowl.
- Frosting: In food processor or blender, combine cashews, raisins and raisin water, dates and date water and lemon; process until smooth. Add extra soak water from cake if necessary for desired consistency.
- Line 10-inch pie pan with plastic wrap and press cake mixture into pan. Turn pan over onto serving plate, remove pan and plastic wrap. Spread ½ cup frosting over top of first layer. Repeat molding with remaining mixture and gently release on top of first frosted layer. Touch up and reshape cake as needed. Spread remaining frosting on top and sides of cake. Garnish with whole or chopped almonds and cinnamon.