This recipe comes from ImportFood.com, an online retailer of Thai food (sauces, coconut products, rice, noodles, etc.) and some Japanese foods as well.
- 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut
- 2 cups coconut milk (try coconut cream as a richer alternative)
- 1 cup water
- 2 whole eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract or rosewater (optional)
- pinch of salt
- sprigs of mint for garnish
- Stir fry the coconut until golden.
- Heat the coconut milk and water over medium heat, stirring continuously for a couple of minutes. Do not allow to boil.
- In a bowl beat two eggs, plus two yolks, then add the other ingredients, and whisk gently.
- Transfer the mixture to a double boiler over gently boiling water, and slowly blend in the hot coconut milk, stirring until the mixture thickens to form a continuous slightly sticky coat on the back of a spoon lifted from the mixture.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool, then transfer to a metal ice cream tray or similar container and place in the coldest part of the freezer for one hour.
- Remove to a food processor and beat slowly until smooth (this incorporates some stir into the mixture and prevents it becoming too hard), then return to the freezer and complete the freezing process.