This great alternative to an all time dairy favorite came to us from Vegetarian Times Magazine.
- 1 cup chocolate graham cracker crumbs (7 double crackers)
- 1/4 cup ground blanched almonds (1 oz.)
- 3 Tbs. sugar
- 2 Tbs. soft spread or softened margarine
- 19 oz. silken tofu (2 1/3 cups)
- 8-oz. tub tofu “cream cheese”
- 1/2 cup fat-free chocolate topping or chocolate syrup
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Coat 8 1/2-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Cover baking sheet with foil.
Make crust: In medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, almonds and sugar. With fork, work in soft spread, finishing by using your fingertips. Press mixture evenly over bottom and part way up sides of springform pan. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350F. In food processor, puree tofu. Add “cream cheese” and puree until smooth. Add fudge sauce, sugar, cocoa, vanilla and lemon juice and process until blended. Pour filling into crust. Tap pan on counter several times to release any air bubbles. Place pan on prepared baking sheet and place in center rack of oven.
Bake 1 hour (center will still be wobbly). Turn off oven, and leave in oven with door closed for 1 hour.
Transfer pan to wire rack and cool completely, 3 to 4 hours. Refrigerate “cheesecake” at least 8 hours (cover with plastic wrap after 4 hours). If top of cake looks wet, just before serving, blot it gently with a paper towel. Place on serving plate, carefully remove side of pan and serve.
- It keeps up to 3 days, loosely covered with foil.
- For a great variation, try the cherry topping at the end of the recipe.
- Use a food processor to make the graham cracker crumbs.