This recipe for key lime mousse pie is a “sweet” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Dione Schwarz. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 ingredients or less, but includes Culinary Coconut Milk and Coconut Milk Ice Cream by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Dione says this Key Lime Mousse Pie “is a light and refreshing dessert that is fun for parties, and it’s dairy free!”
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Key Lime Mousse Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian.
- 2 cups crushed graham crackers (vegan or gluten-free, if needed)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance Soy-Free)
- 9 tablespoons freshly squeezed key lime juice
- 2½ cups So Delicious Dairy Free Original Culinary Coconut Milk
- 3½ cups So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Bean Coconut Milk Ice Cream
- 14 (1-ounce) squares vegan white chocolate, divided; reserve 2 ounces white chocolate, grated or shaved into curls, for garnish
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ tablespoons lime zest (peel)
- 4 limes, peels removed and sliced into strips
- 2 cups sugar, plus more for rolling
- 2 cups water
- Mix together the cracker crumbs, sugar, and margarine. Press the mixture into the bottom and 1-inch up the sides of a 10-inch spring-form pan. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the lime juice. Whisk in the coconut milk and sugar, then bring to a simmer. Remove the pan from the heat. Add 12 ounces of white chocolate and stir until smooth. Allow to cool.
- Using an electric mixer, blend together the ice cream, and lime zest in a medium bowl, until smooth. Slowly beat in the cooled white chocolate mixture into the ice cream mixture.
- Spoon the combined mixture into your spring form pan. Cover and freeze overnight.
- Remove from freezer and run a sharp knife around inside of spring form pan to help loosen the pie. Release spring form ring from the bottom of the pan and transfer the pie to a serving plate. Grate or curl the white chocolate over the top and garnish with candied lime peel. Cut into wedges with a knife that has been dipped into hot water and serve.
- Bring a medium-sized saucepan of water to a boil over medium heat. Add the peels in and blanch them for a few minutes. Set aside.
- Put the peels in another medium saucepan and cover with equal parts of sugar and water. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 1 hour. Remove the peels and drain until almost dry. Roll into sugar and set aside.