This recipe for dark chocolate layer cake is a “video” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Natalie Dicks of Life Made Simple. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 core ingredients or less, but includes Coconut Milk Beverage by So Delicious Dairy Free.
The finished dark chocolate layer cake with coconut frosting:
We were amazed that Natalie was able to create this amazing dark chocolate layer cake, complete with frosting, using just 8 core ingredients (oil and salt were “free” ingredients for this contest).
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Dark Chocolate Layer Cake with Coconut Frosting
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. In fact, it is generally top food allergy-friendly. Though we haven’t tested it, Natalie says a powdered egg replacer should work well in this cake if you require an egg-free or vegan option.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup coconut oil, divided
- 2 eggs (see post above for egg-free/vegan option)
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup special dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon + ¼ teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups + 3-5 tablespoons So Delicious® Unsweetened Vanilla Coconut Milk*, divided
- 2-2½ c. powdered sugar for frosting
- Toasted coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- Almond slices
- Raspberries or strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the sugar and ½ cup coconut oil. With the mixing speed on low, add one egg at a time.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt.
- With mixing speed on low, gradually alternate adding whisked dry ingredients and 2 cups coconut milk beverage. Mix just until combined.
- Remove bowl and pour the batter evenly between the two prepared pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pans for 5 minutes before removing and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cake layers are cooling, prepare the coconut frosting by beating ½ cup coconut oil in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment for 4-6 minutes.
- Once the oil is creamy, add ¼ teaspoon salt and 3 tablespoons coconut milk beverage. Mix until incorporated.
- With mixing speed on low, gradually add the powdered sugar. Once combined, beat on medium-hight until fluffy, about 2 minutes. If the frosting isn’t spreadable enough, add up to 2 tablespoons of additional coconut milk beverage, as needed, and beat another 30 seconds.
- To assemble, place one layer of cake onto a round or a cake stand. Frost the top evenly, then add the next layer. Frost the top of that layer and then (if desired) the sides of the entire cake.
- Garnish as desired.
Wheat? For a healthier version, try substituting 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour for the all-purpose flour.
Vegan? For our vegan suggestion, see the notes in the post above.