This recipe for cashew basmati rice is a “30 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Lynn Caruso. For fluffy yet creamy rice, she uses Cashew Milk from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-time-trials-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Cashew Basmati Rice
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 2-1/4 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Cashew Milk Beverage
- ½ cup chopped cashews
- ¼-1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Coat the bottom of a saucepan with oil.
- Add salt, and the rice (one cupful will give you two good portions)
- Stir the rice, salt, and oil, until all the grains are coated. Stir gently over medium heat, until the rice becomes opaque.
- Add the cashew milk, cashews, peas, parsley and onion.
- Bring to a boil, stir once. Cover with lid.
- Lower heat, and cook until all water is absorbed approx. 15 minutes. The rice will appear solid, with craters on the surface.
- The rice is cooked to perfection! Remove lid, let steam escape.
- Use immediately, or cool quickly.