Chicken in Dairy-Free Mole Sauce
Author: Levana Kirschenbaum
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 8 turkey or chicken cutlets, left thick
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup water
- Good pinch saffron
- Good pinch cayenne
- 6 bay leaves
- ½ cup canned cranberry sauce, smooth
- 3 tbsps tomato paste
- ½ cup dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips (for soy-free, try Enjoy Life Brand)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent.
- Add the cutlets, wine, water, saffron, cayenne and bay leaves, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook, covered, 20 minutes.
- Transfer the cutlets to a platter.
- Add the cranberry jelly, tomato paste and chocolate chips and cook one more minute, whisking.
- Pour the sauce over the cutlets, and serve hot with rice.