Although I love to try new foods when we eat out, beef and broccoli is still my all time favorite. I searched for a restaurant style recipe, this one is good, and the closest I have found thus far. You can halve the sauce for equally good results if you are low on ingredients. If anyone else out there has an excellent beef with broccoli recipe, I would love to hear it!
- 1 pound flank steak, partially frozen
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons mirin or cooking sherry
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil, divided use
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot or ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups broccoli flowerets
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded julienned
- 1/2 cup diagonally sliced green onions
Cut partially frozen flank steak across the grain to make very thin 2×1-inch strips.
In a small bowl, combine oyster sauce, water, mirin and arrowroot powder; stir until powder is dissolved. Stir in crushed red pepper flakes and set aside.
Heat a large nonstick skillet or wok over med-high heat. Add half the peanut oil and heat until very hot but not smoking. Add the beef and stir-fry until browned, about 2 minutes. Remove beef from wok with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Heat the same skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add remaining peanut oil and stir-fry ginger and garlic for 30 seconds. Add broccoli and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Turn heat to high and stir in red bell pepper and green onion; continue to stir-fry for an additional 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in beef and reserved oyster sauce. Stir constantly until mixture thickens, about 1-2 minutes. Serve over brown or white rice.