This Louisianna inspired dish comes from Denise Hall of Fit Fare. The 1/3 less fat Smart Balance, or any brand of Earth Balance should work well in this dish, while keeping your meal dairy-free.
- 2 Tbsp heart healthy margarine, such as Smart Balance
- 1 lb Louisiana crawfish tails
- 1 tsp Creole seasoning, such as Tony Chachere’s (more or less to taste)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 c cold water
- 2 Tbsp green onions, chopped
Season crawfish tails with Creole seasoning. Melt margarine in heavy sauce pan and saute crawfish for 3 minutes. Remove crawfish from pot with a slotted spoon into a bowl. Add onions, bell peppers and garlic to pan and saute for 10 minutes. Add back crawfish to the vegetable mixture. Dissolve cornstarch in cold water. Stir into pan with crawfish and vegetables and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve over rice and garnish with green onions.