A couple of months ago, I shared the news that Galaxy Nutritional Foods was releasing a new, soy-free, vegan cheese alternative … and it has finally arrived! Go Veggie Vegan Shreds are now popping up in stores, in Mozzarella and Mexican flavors, perfect for vegan pizza and fiestas.
First, the details … Vegan Shreds are dairy-free*, soy-free, gluten-free AND vegan and they are made with a unique non-GMO cornstarch base. The product met with rave reviews at Natural Products Expo West, and I’ve heard rumor that it really does melt. As an added bonus, each 1-ounce serving of Vegan Shreds is lower in fat (6 grams) and calories (90) than regular dairy cheese, and contains 25% (250mg) of the daily recommendation for calcium.
*Yes, this means casein-free, lactose-free, whey-free, and milk-free! Please keep in mind that Galaxy does have a line of “Veggie” cheese alternatives that do contain dairy. Always look for their “Vegan” label specifically when seeking dairy-free cheese alternatives.
Now, it’s time to celebrate! Share this easy, flavorful vegan pizza recipe at your next party …
Special Diet Notes: Mexican Fiesta Vegan Pizza
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 medium to large whole wheat vegan or gluten-free flatbread or pre-made pizza shell
- ½ cup prepared dairy-free pizza sauce
- ½ cup ground beef or vegan “beef ”alternative
- ¾ cup Vegan Mexican Style Shreds
- ¼ red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ green bell pepper, diced
- ¼ yellow bell pepper, diced
- Fresh cilantro
- Hot sauce, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Spray a large cookie sheet or sheet pan with a spritz of vegetable oil spray. Place the flatbread on the sheet.
- Top the flatbread with the pizza sauce and spread evenly. Distribute the ground “beef” alternative over the sauce evenly, followed by the Vegan Mexican Style Shreds. Add all peppers, spreading evenly over the surface of the Shreds.
- Place sheet pan in the oven and bake for 18 minutes, or until the Vegan Shreds are melted and light brown.
- Remove, and top with cilantro while still hot. Let cool for 5 minutes to allow ingredients to set. Slice into wedges and serve with a bottle of hot sauce for spice fiends!