This kid-friendly recipe is from Erika Waz of Tummy Treasure and Kids Cuisine. Erika professed her surprise and delight at how this meal turned out, but says it is a touch on the sweet side. To adjust, she suggests using just a bit less cola, or a brand that isn’t quite as sweet from the get go.
If you are seeking to keep the recipe gluten-free, nut-free, and/or soy-free, choose your ingredients accordingly since some are pre-made foods.
- 4 pounds boneless beef round steak, trimmed of fat, cut into pieces
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup cola-flavored carbonated beverage
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 24 sandwich buns (wheat or gluten-free), split
- Arrange beef in a 3½ to 4 quart slow cooker. Add all the remaining ingredients, except buns. Mix well.
- Cover. Cook on high setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, shred the beef with 2 forks — remove it from the pot if needed to do this, then slide it back into the juices.
- With a slotted spoon, spoon about ⅓ cup beef mixture into each bun. Mixture can be kept warm for several hours on low setting.