This recipe comes from Laura Matthias, the author of a new Vegan Cookbook, “ExtraVeganZa: Original Recipes from Phoenix Organic Farm.” Her creative list of recipes sounds enticing: portobello mushroom tofu quiche, chocolate jalapeno cake, mocha hazelnut spice cookies, and chai jasmine rice pudding, to name just a few!
- 4 small zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups red onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, grated
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup broccoli flowerets, diced
- 1 cup almonds, finely ground
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out and dice the centers. Reserve the flesh for the stuffing.
- In a large frying pan, saute the onion and ginger in the olive oil on medium heat for five to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, and reserved zucchini flesh, and saute five to 10 minutes more. Add the almonds and the tamari and saute for five minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Evenly stuff each of the zucchini halves with the sauteed vegetables and place them on a baking sheet. Place the stuffed zucchinis in a preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve. The zucchini boats can be served on a bed of plain basmati rice.