This one has been altered ever so slightly from The Mom and Me Cookbook by Annabel Karmel.
8 ozs. diced chicken breast
2/3 cups carrot matchsticks
1 cup sliced baby corn
1 cup trimmed green beans
1 cup white rice (we opted for brown)
2 tablespoons sliced green onions
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1½ tablespoon corn starch
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon rice or soymilk
4 tablespoons chicken stock
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Make the sauce by mixing together all the sauce ingredients in a bowl
- Beat together the batter ingredients in another bowl
- Dip the chicken in the batter, and then fry it in 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Remove from the pan.
- Next, stir-fry the carrots, baby corn, and beans in the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil for 4 minutes.
- Add the sauce and boil for 1 minute. Then add the chicken and green onions and heat through.
- Spoon a helping of sweet-and-sour chicken on top of a bed of rice.