This recipe is from Levana Kirschenbaum, author of the cookbook, Levana Cooks Dairy-Free!
TUNA BURGERS WITH VIDALIA ONIONS AND CHIPOTLE SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large vidalia onions, sliced very thin
- 2 pounds ground tuna (meat: substitute bison, lean beef or turkey)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 hamburger buns, split open (I recommend you experiment with sprouted bread buns: Ezekiel, gluten-free, etc….)
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Chipotle sauce (recipe follows)
Heat the oil in a skillet, and add the onions. Cook, covered, over medium heat, until brown, about 20 minutes.
Set aside. Preheat the broiler (or the grill, if you are cooking outdoors). Combine the meat and the ground pepper. Form about 6 patties about 1-inch thick. Broil about 2 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
Put the buns under the broiler, split side up, for about one minute.
To serve, spread some of the onions on each bun, and top with a hamburger, sliced tomatoes and a dab of chipotle sauce (recipe follows).
- 2 canned chipotle peppers, with 2 tablespoons of the liquid
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 6 sprigs cilantro
- Salt to taste
Puree all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator. Makes about 1 cup.