Vegan Curry Rice
- 1 cup brown rice (I used jasmine brown)
- 1 cup regular coconut milk
- 1.5 to 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1 large broccoli crown
- 1 to 2 cups baby carrots
- ¾ can garbanzo beans (chickpeas) – I used the organic ones, they are littler and more nutty, not quite as potent in flavor
- fresh ground pepper
- I have one of those wonderful inventions, the rice cooker. I put the rice, coconut milk, water, turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt in the rice cooker and clicked “on.” I used 2 cups of water, but you may need a little less depending on the rice you use.
- Cut the broccoli into florets, and place the florets and the baby carrots in the steamer basket that goes atop the rice cooker (or steam atop the stove). If using the rice cooker to steam, allow the rice to cook for ten minutes before placing the vegetable steamer atop them.
- When the rice cooker goes “click.” It is all done. I chopped up the cooked vegetables into smaller bites, and tossed them into the rice cooker along with the garbanzo beans. I gave the whole thing a good stir to mix all of the ingredients together, added some fresh ground pepper and a touch more salt to taste, and served! It wasn’t pretty, but really it did taste pretty darn good.