Vegetable Rice Biryani
This recipe is from Levana Kirschenbaum, author of the cookbook, Levana Cooks Dairy-Free!
Levana says, “I also used to think that rice is rice, until I found dozens of different varieties, at specialty food stores (Fairway, Zabar’s, Kalustyans, etc…) I urge you to make a visit to any one of them, and treat yourself!”
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 cups basmati or other interesting rice (red, jasmine etc…)
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 cups frozen small cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup roasted peanuts or cashews, chopped (omit for nut-free)
- 4 scallions, sliced very thin
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- In a food processor, coarsely grind the onion and ginger, and add to the skillet, with the lemongrass and turmeric, and sauté just 1 -2 minutes, until just fragrant.
- Add the rice, water, coconut milk and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to medium and cook covered 15 minutes.
- Add all but last 2 ingredients and cook 5 more minutes.
- Just before servings, stir in the nuts and scallions.
- Serve hot.
Copyright Fleming Marrs Inc. ~ www.GoDairyFree.org
Tagged egg--free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, sugar-free, vegan, vegetarian