Alisa Fleming ~ This ghost cookies recipe was shared with us previously by Enjoy Life Foods. They scare up some fun recipes every year, and this is a popular one from a Halloween past.
While most ghost cookies are simply sugar cookies cut into ghostly shapes with Halloween cookie cutters, these free-form ghosts are much more fun and have a better spooky vibe.
You can use any cookies for the base of this recipe, but the Enjoy Life Soft Baked Cookies make for tender little desserts, and are also naturally vegan and allergy-friendly. Likewise, Enjoy Life chocolate chips are dairy-free and allergy-friendly, and the mini size chips are perfect for ghostly eyes!
- 1 cup powdered sugar (organic brands are typically vegan and many use tapioca starch)
- 4 teaspoons xanthan gum or guar gum (for corn-free)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water
- In a bowl, combine powdered sugar and xanthan gum. Add water a little at a time to combine, use hands to incorporate.
- When it forms a “dough,” knead it a few times. Roll it out with a rolling pin and let dough rest for about 10-15 minutes, covered with plastic wrap. Roll out in stages, keeping the remaining dough covered in plastic wrap. Cut out a circle about 1-1/2-inches in diameter and roll until it is very thin.
- Take 1 cookie and roll in hands until it is a round ball.
- Take dough circle and drape it over cookie. Place 2 chocolate chips for eyes.
- Best if eaten right away. May be stored covered tightly in plastic wrap (to keep from drying out) for 1-2 days.
Tagged egg-free, food allergy-friendly, gluten-free, Halloween, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian