This recipe for gluten-free banana mocha muffins is a “dessert” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Bridget Collins. For the muffin batter, she uses Almond Plus Protein AlmondMilk or Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Gluten-Free Banana Mocha Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free (using coconut milk beverage), and vegetarian. To ensure the soy-free status of these mocha muffins, be sure to use chocolate chips that are both dairy-free and soy lecithin-free. We use Enjoy Life Mini Chips for this purpose.
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour blend (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup Sugar in the Raw (plus 2 Tablespoons to sprinkle the muffin tops before baking)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- ⅔ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Almond Milk Beverage (or Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage)
- 1 Tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 (ripe) medium sized banana-cut into small dice or slightly mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF
- Place the So Delicious unsweetened Almond Milk (or unsweetened Coconut Milk) beverage in a microwave safe cup and heat gently for 30 seconds on HIGH. Stir in the instant coffee and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients until well combined.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients, adding in the coffee/Almond beverage that was set aside.
- Fold the wet ingredients in to the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon. Be careful not to over mix.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with baking spray or brush with olive oil. Place muffin paper liners in pan. Using an ice cream scoop or ¼ cup measuring cup, divide the batter evenly amongst the 12 cups.
- Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with the reserved Sugar in the Raw.
- Bake in a preheated 375ºF oven for 20-25 minutes. Test the muffins with a toothpick inserted in to the center to be sure they are baked through.