Mediterranean cuisine is about far more than pasta and feta cheese. This simple orange salad lets fruit take center stage, but compliments it with fresh mint, sweet onion, olives, and a light and tangy vinaigrette. And unlike many other Greek salads, the pure ingredients make it perfect for serving to almost any family member or guest – dietary restrictions or not.
This Greek orange salad photo and the recipe were shared with us by The National Onion Association.
This fresh Greek orange salad initially caught my eye as the perfect side for Easter – it’s impressively vibrant yet comes together in just 15 minutes – from start to finish – allowing you more time to fuss over the festive main dishes. Plus, the recipe shouts spring by pairing cool weather citrus and onions with fresh herbs and a lively, sweet vinaigrette. Honestly, I could, and just might, enjoy this orange salad year round!
Special Diet Notes: Greek Orange Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan / plant-based, vegetarian, optionally paleo, and generally food allergy-friendly.
- 3 navel oranges
- ½ sweet yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, torn
- ¼ cup black olives, oil cured, pitted and halved
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar (for vegan)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup non-GMO canola oil, grapeseed oil, or olive oil (for paleo)
- For the salad, cut the top and bottom off each orange so it sits flat on cutting surface. Remove the peel and pith (white part) by taking sharp knife and running it down sides of orange from top to bottom, following the shape of each orange. Slice the oranges into rounds.
- Arrange the orange slices, overlapping each other slightly, on a large platter. Scatter the onion, mint and olives over the oranges.
- For the vinaigrette, whisk the vinegar, honey, mustard, cinnamon and salt together in a medium bowl. Very slowly add the oil while whisking constantly, until well combined and emulsified
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and serve immediately.