This recipe for grilled salmon and coconut rice packets is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Kadija Bridgewater. To qualify, the recipe includes Coconut Milk Beverage by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Grilled Salmon and Coconut Rice
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, and soy-free; just be sure to select your ingredients wisely!
- 4 ears corn on the cob, husked
- 5 pineapple rings/slices
- 3 scallions
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ cup chopped and salted cashews
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups uncooked instant white rice
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Coconut Milk Beverage
- ¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 salmon filets, skin removed, 4 to 6 oz each
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning, salt-free
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat gas grill to high heat.
- Place ears of corn on grill and cover grill. Grill until browned on most sides, opening to turn twice, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce grill heat to medium-low. Toss cashews with olive oil and black pepper. Place in a piece of heavy-duty foil and close to form a packet. Place on grill, along with pineapple rings and scallions. Flip pineapple and scallions when grill marks appear, about 2 minutes. Grill on other side for about 2 minutes. Remove cashews after 5 minutes and reserve.
- Slice kernels from corn. Chop pineapple and scallions. Combine corn, pineapple, scallions and lime juice. Season with ½ teaspoon sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce grill heat to low.
- Spray four 18 x 12 inch sheets of heavy duty foil with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine rice, coconut milk, chicken broth, ginger and ½ teaspoon sea salt. Stir and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in red bell pepper and cilantro.
- Season salmon filets with lemon pepper seasoning and sea salt. Place salmon filet in center of each piece of foil. Spoon rice around each filet. Fold foil over salmon and rice so edges overlap. Seal edges by folding tightly, and leave about 1 inch of space on sides for expansion. Make 3 other packets.
- Place packets on grill and cover. Grill for 13 minutes. Open foil carefully. Salmon is done when it flakes easily with a fork.
- To serve, open each foil packet. Top with sweet corn salsa and toasted cashews.