As the days begin to stretch out, and the weather heats up, there will be more opportunities to take dinner outside with easy and delicious grilling recipes, like this one for steak and pepper fajitas.
This steak and pepper fajitas recipe with photo was shared with us by Laura’s Lean Beef.
For best results when grilling these steak and pepper fajitas, choose quality meat that is 92 percent lean or higher. If possible, look for meet that is also sustainably raised and free of added hormones or antibiotics. And utilize these tips for maximizing flavor:
- Let dry spice rubs penetrate the meat to tenderize and add extra flavor. To help keep meat moist and lock in flavorful juices when grilling, use the cover on your grill during part or all of the cook time . If your grill doesn’t have a cover, improvise by putting a large, disposable foil roasting pan over the food.
- Some lean meats cook in less time than fattier cuts, so it is important to keep an eye on the doneness.
And don’t forget the flavorful dairy-free condiments. You can purchase them at the store, but it’s easy to make your own unique salsa. Try this Avocado Salsa from The Vegetarian Mamma or this Zesty Mango Tomato Salsa for a flavor twist.
Special Diet Notes: Grilled Steak and Pepper Fajitas
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and top food allergy-friendly.
For paleo grilled steak and pepper fajitas, use your favorite paleo wraps or lettuce wraps.
- 1 pound lean, hormone-free ribeye steak (strip, sirloin or flank; such as Laura's Lean Beef)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into large strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into large strips
- 1 medium-hot Poblano pepper, cut into large strips
- 1 medium yellow or purple onion, horizontally sliced (rings kept intact)
- 8 small tortillas (gluten-free or flour)
- Pico de gallo or salsa, for serving
- Dairy-free guacamole, for serving
- At least 2 hours before dinner, dust the steak with the black pepper, cumin and chili powder and refrigerate.
- Place the peppers and onion slices on the grill over medium heat. Turn frequently until the vegetables are covered with dark spots, but not burnt. Remove from the grill and cool for about 4 minutes.
- Pull the skins off the peppers and slice into strips. Break the onion slices into rings and toss with the peppers in a serving bowl.
- Place the steak on the grill. Cook, turning frequently, until it reaches your desired level of doneness. Remove from the grill and cut diagonally into thin slices.
- Warm and soften the tortillas on the edge of the grill, away from direct heat.
- Roll the steak, pepper, and onion slices into the tortillas.
- Serve with pico de gallo or salsa and guacamole.
More Meals for the Grill
Grilled Veggie Bowls with Cashew Ranch Dressing (gluten-free & optionally paleo)
Asian Grilled Chicken Noodle Bowls with Ginger Lime Soy Sauce (optionally gluten-free & nut-free)
Southwestern Grilled Cod Tacos with Fresh Guacamole (gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free & optionally paleo)