As the days begin to stretch out, and the weather heats up, there will be more opportunities to take dinner outside with easy and delicious grilling recipes, like this one for steak and pepper fajitas.
This steak and pepper fajitas recipe and photo was shared with us by Laura’s Lean Beef.
For best results when grilling these steak and pepper fajitas, choose quality meat that is 92 percent lean or higher, sustainably raised, and free of added hormones or antibiotics, to ensure you are packing in flavor without harmful ingredients.
Also, utilize these tips for maximizing flavor:
- Let dry spice rubs penetrate the meat to tenderize and add extra flavor. To help keep meat moist and lock in flavorful juices when grilling, use the cover on your grill during part or all of the cook time . If your grill doesn’t have a cover, improvise by putting a large, disposable foil roasting pan over the food.
- Some lean meats cook in less time than fattier cuts, so it is important to keep an eye on the doneness.
Special Diet Notes: Grilled Steak and Pepper Fajitas
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and top food allergy-friendly.
For paleo grilled steak and pepper fajitas, use your favorite paleo wraps (ie coconut wraps) or lettuce wraps.
- 1 pound lean, hormone-free ribeye steak, strip, sirloin or flank (such as Laura's Lean Beef))
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into large strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into large strips
- 1 medium-hot Poblano pepper, dark green and triangular, cut into large strips
- 1 medium yellow or purple onion, horizontally sliced (rings kep intact)
- 8 fat-free flour or gluten-free tortillas
- Pico de gallo or salsa, optional, for serving
- Dairy-free guacamole, optional, for serving
- At least two hours before dinner, dust the steak with the black pepper, cumin and chili powder. Chill in the refrigerator to let the flavors can penetrate meat.
- Place the peppers and onion slices on grill over medium heat; cover and roast by turning frequently until covered with dark spots, but not burnt. Remove from grill and allow to cool, about four minutes. Pull off waxy-papery skins of peppers and slice crosswise into strips. Break onion slices into rings and mix with peppers in serving bowl.
- Place steak on the grill, turning frequently. Cook until desired level of doneness. Remove from grill and cut diagonally into thin slices.
- Warm tortillas on edge of grill, keeping them away from direct heat, to warm and soften. Remove from grill.
- Roll several slices of steak and pieces of peppers and onions into tortillas. Serve with pico de gallo, salsa, and / or guacamole.