Last night, we attempted our first outdoor dinner. Kylie and I prepped the sides, and Tony headed down to the barbecues to grill up a tasty main. We were partially successful – it was warm and beautiful out, but the winds swept us into the windowed clubhouse for an “almost outside” dining experience. We will definitely persist, but I think as the temperatures continue to creep up, we may migrate our grilling to quick and light meals like these healthy, easy lettuce wraps.
These easy lettuce wraps make a fantastic light meal at lunch or dinner, and are naturally dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, and tree nut-free. But if you have additional needs, the Thai inspired flavoring and wrap ingredients are quite versatile:
Vegan / Vegetarian: Skip the shrimp and soak extra-firm tofu cubes in the lime marinade. For a veggie snack, omit the protein and pack these easy lettuce wraps with more vegetables, like avocado wedges, julienned cucumber or jicama, bell pepper strips, sprouts, or bean sprouts.
Peanut-Free: The peanut garnish is nice, but go ahead and omit it. If you are craving something extra, sprinkle on toasted sesame seeds instead.
This recipe is from The New Atkins for a New You Cookbook by Colette Heimowitz. Copyright (c) 2011 by Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. and was reprinted by permission of Touchstone Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, Inc. Please note that the cookbook is not dairy-free, but these deliciously light and easy lettuce wraps recipe are!
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dark toasted sesame oil
- 1 small red chile pepper, seeded and minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (see post above for vegan / vegetarian option)
- 8 large green or red leaf lettuce leaves
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 small daikon radish, julienned
- ½ cup mung bean sprouts
- ¼ cup peanuts, toasted and chopped (optional, omit for peanut-free)
- Combine the lime juice, sesame oil, chile and salt in a medium bowl.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the shrimp and simmer until pink, about 3 minutes. Drain and toss the shrimp into the lime juice mixture, stirring to coat. Refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Set the lettuce leaves on a counter with stem ends toward you. Press against the “spines” until you hear a crunch to make it easier to roll.
- Divide the carrot, daikon and sprouts among leaves, setting them in the centers toward the bottom. Divide the shrimp among leaves, and sprinkle with the chopped peanuts, if using. Roll lettuce from the bottom up.
- Place each roll, seam side down, on a sheet of plastic wrap, wrap tightly and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Remove wrap; cut rolls in half and serve.