This recipe for dairy-free nutella is a “sweet” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Jessica Stier of Desserts with Benefits. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 ingredients or less, but includes Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Jessica uses hazelnut oil for a double dose of nutty flavor. If you can’t locate it, use another nut oil or a neutral oil, such as rice bran.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Homemade Dairy-Free Nutella
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup natural hazelnut butter
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut oil
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon liquid stevia extract (Jessica uses Sweetleaf)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Almond Plus Almond Milk
- ¾ cup powdered sugar (or powdered erythritol for a sugar-free version)
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the hazelnut butter and oil. Whisk in ¼ cup of the cocoa powder, the stevia and vanilla.
- Whisk in the almond milk, approximately ¼ cup at a time, whisking between each addition.
- Whisk in ¼ cup of the cocoa powder, followed by ½ cup of the powdered sugar (or erythritol). Repeat with the remaining cocoa powder and sweetener.
- Whisk vigorously to get rid of any clumps and taste test. It should be creamy and sweet, but you can adjust to taste with 1/16 teaspoon of salt, more stevia, and/or more cocoa, if desired.
- Serve immediately or store in a sealable jar in the fridge. Stir before using.