Vegan, vegetarian, or not, it’s hard not to love veggie burgers. Which is why I’m so excited about a new book, The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet, by Joni Marie Newman. I’ll be reviewing this cookbook in full, but as a special treat, Joni is sharing a recipe from her “Burgers for the Holidays” chapter. Yes, she actually dedicates a section of the book to burgers worth celebrating, and they include a Fruity Holiday Brunch Burger, Green Bean Almondine Burger, and the mouthwatering recipe below for an All-the-Fixin’s Holiday Burger.
I think this wonderful recipe will be amazingly popular as it combines several holiday favorites into one. I’m sure many of you are familiar with making mashed potato cakes after Thanksgiving, but what about mashed potato cakes with stuffing and French fried onions?
According to Joni, “This here burger was the brainchild of my bestie, Jen. She said if I could pack an entire holiday dinner into a burger, she would be in heaven. So, I gave it a shot. I invited her over and had her test it out. She said it was like crack … and there you have it.”
Joni recommends enjoying this burger as a meatless alternative to a huge elaborate holiday dinner or making it the day after the big feast with leftovers!
- 1 Tablespoon Dairy-Free Margarine
- 1 Cup Diced Onion
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- 4 Cups Cooked Mashed Potatoes
- 4 Cups Prepared Bread Stuffing
- 1 14-oz Can Cut Green Beans, drained
- 1 Cup French’s French Fried Onions
- Salt and Pepper
- Oil, for frying (optional)
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, melt the margarine, add the onion and garlic, and saute until just beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl, add the potatoes, stuffing, green beans, fried onions, and salt and pepper to taste. Knead to combine.
- Form into 8 patties. Cook as desired.
- Panfry in oil for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until crispy and golden, or bake at 350ºF, on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone baking mat, for about 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Everything is already cooked – you just need to heat them up!
Diet type: Vegan, Dairy free, Egg free, Nut free, Peanut free, Sugar free, optionally Gluten free, optionally Wheat free, optionally Soy free