This recipe for homemade kruellers is a “sweet” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by The Taylor Household. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 ingredients or less, but includes Almond Plus Almond Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Homemade Kruellers
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose your vegetable broth wisely for you dietary needs.
For gluten-free and dairy-free homemade kruellers, use your favorite gluten-free bread. It tends to work well in this application since it is a little dryer by nature.
For nut-free and dairy-free homemade kruellers, simply substitute a tree nut-free milk alternative, such as coconut milk beverage, for the almond milk. Believe it or not, almond extract is usually nut-free! But check the labels to verify.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 12 slices of bread
- 2 eggs slightly beaten, or equivalent amount of egg substitute such as egg beaters
- ½ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Almond Plus Almond Milk
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- pinch of nutmeg
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Heat oil in a shallow pan to about 350ºF.
- After cutting the crust off of the bread, cut each slice into thirds, set aside. I like to do this so the bread dries out just a bit.
- In a bowl mix together the eggs, almond milk, almond extract, granulated sugar, and nutmeg. Blend well until the sugar is dissolved.
- Dip the bread pieces into the mixture and place in the hot oil, do not overcrowd. Fry just until all sides are golden brown, turning the bread as needed. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Dust generously with confectioners’ sugar.