This waffle crusted chicken is an “entree” recipe entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Lily Julow. For the batter, Lily uses Unsweetened Protein-Plus AlmondMilk or Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
From Lily: “It feels like about a hundred years ago when I spent a few days in Lexington, Kentucky and was introduced to Southern fried chicken served with biscuits and honey. The combination was so delicious I was hooked and always served fried chicken that way. When waffles and chicken became popular I wondered if I could turn the same flavor combination into a puffy skillet-fried version. This waffle crusted chicken is the result.”
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Waffle Crusted Chicken
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and tree nut-free. Use caution when selecting your oil for frying, avoiding vegetable oil if you require soy-free. Canola, avocado or rice bran oil are good high-heat options.
- 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 large egg, separated
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) coconut oil
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Almond Plus AlmondMilk or Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 level cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons honey*
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons plain oil for frying
- Additional honey for dribbling
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and salt and pepper them on both sides.
- Put egg yolk in a large bowl. Reserve the egg white in a small bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan and remove from heat to cool slightly. While it’s cooling, whisk the egg yolk and milk beverage together, then add the cooled melted oil, flour, baking powder, honey, and salt. Whisk together until just barely combined; some lumps may remain. Beat the egg white by hand or with an electric mixer until peaks form. Gently fold the egg white into the batter with a spatula.
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet. Dip chicken pieces one by one in the waffle batter to cover both sides and add to skillet. Continue with remaining chicken pieces and batter, in batches if necessary. Cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Serve hot with extra honey if desired.